My job is to photograph women in flats wearing a white dress on the beaches of Cancun and the Riviera Maya. Being that you can’t wear heels in the sand and you’re likely not going to buy a black wedding dress, we are going to have to work with what we have to make sure you look your best (and skinniest) on your wedding day.
Here are a few
1. Buy a dress for your body type.
2. Turn your belly button away from the camera and your shoulders towards it.
3. Keep your shoulders back and have good posture
4. Hold your flowers correctly and use your arms to create the illusion of a smaller waist
5. Stand beside or behind your man, never in front.
6. Make sure you don’t make a 90 degree angle with your arm.
7. Walk like you’ve had a few drinks
8. Hire a photographer that is willing to retouch your body
1) Buy a dress for your body type.
I can’t stress the importance of buying a dress for your body and not your dreams. We see it quite often where a beautiful bride will buy a dress that is lovely, but not quite right for her body type. As a result, she will not like her wedding photographs and sometimes not even really understand why.
So please, take a friend that is willing to give you honest feedback and talk to them about how the dress is fitting your body and their opinion.
2) Turn your belly button away from the camera and keep your shoulders towards it.
This is a really quick way to make you look thinner in photographs. By turning your belly button away from the camera and keeping your shoulders towards the camera it will give you a twist in your spine and give you the illusion that your waist looks thinner. And what girl doesn’t want a thinner looking waist?
3) Keep your shoulders back and have good posture
Good posture is a must for great looking photographs as no one likes the hunchback bride. Keep your shoulders back, your neck tall, stand with confidence and have fun.
Don’t worry about being perfect and know that your photographer will help you if you start to slouch or need to bring your shoulders back. And when in doubt pretend as if you are wearing heals and pop that booty a little.
4) Hold your flowers correctly and use your arms to create the illusion of a smaller waste
Ok this might be a little difficult being that you don’t carry flowers around with you every day. But don’t worry as we will show you how to carry them and the best place to them so you look amazing.
5) Stand beside or behind your man, never in front.
The simple rule here is that the closest thing to the camera looks the biggest. Therefore if you want to look smaller, stand a little (even 5 inches) behind your man. This will make him look bigger and you smaller.
6) Make sure you don’t make a 90 degree angle with your arm.
This one has less to do with looking thinner and just looking more feminine. When holding your arms, never make a 90 degree angle or your arms will look very strong. Whereas if you keep a more acute or obtuse bend in your arm then you will look more feminine.
7) Walk like you’ve had a few drinks
Let’s face it, everyone looks a little sexier when they have had a few drinks. Actually, maybe that’s the other way around, but none the less, walk by putting one foot in front of or slightly to the other side. In other words, your right foot goes over to the left and your left foot goes to the right side. It’s how models walk on the catwalk and it thins out their bodies by giving you a more hourglass and feminine figure.
8) Hire a photographer that is willing to retouch your body.
They say the camera adds 10 lbs and I believe them. As a result, we give all our brides a little squeeze here and tuck there to take a photo from being good to looking great.
I think this is important as it means you can relax and have fun in your photographs knowing that you don’t have to be perfect. Enjoy yourself and know that if you have a great expression and not the perfect posture, then we will do what we need to so that you do look great.
Finally, please know that you don’t have to memorize the above and practice them. We will work with you on your wedding day to make sure you get great photographs and have a fun time. And when we direct you we will do it in a way that is kind, considerate and fun so that you barely even notice that what we are doing is trying to make you look skinnier.
Cancun Wedding Photographer